Starcraft 2 Wings of Liberty and Calculus: UPDATE 1
This is an update to an earlier post.
Let’s see if we can get some information from the graph. Below is a screenshot of the GeoGebra applet.
- Which approximation gives the best estimate of total resource collected? Why?
- If the graph represents the instantaneous resource collection rate (in the context of this game), which sum will provide the best approximation?
- If the graph represents the average resource collection rate, which sum will provide the best approximation?
- The red line shows an increase followed by a decrease, what does that mean in context?
- What happens to the approximation as the number of columns is decreased? What happens when it is increased?
- Is there information that can help us determine if the graph displays instantaneous collection rate or average collection rate?
- Whats your best estimate about the amount of resources collected?
Let’s check our answers:
- Which sum provided the best approximation?
- What are some sources of error?
- Why does the graph of resource collection rate rise and fall?
- Why does the graph have humps and plateaus? What do they represent? (hint)
- How did the red player have a steeper rise on the second hump (after first plateau) than the blue player? (hint)
- What caused the drop-off in the red graph near the end? Does the drop off mean the red player is losing resources or gaining less resources?
- In the beginning why did the blue graph have dips in its graph? (hint)