Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Doodling in Math Class

Self-described recreational mathemusician Vihart has a great series of videos on doodling in math class. The videos are fast-paced, quirky, and combines two things that I love: math and doodling. One of them first came up as a share on Google Reader. I was hooked 10 seconds into the first video. If you like math and doodling, you'll see why. Be sure to check out other videos at her site or subscribe to her YouTube channel.



Here's a GeoGebra applet that you can use to explore some patterns described in the video. Interesting patterns to look for include finding combinations of P (points) and Q that create asterisks, polygons, and stars that can be formed with a single path. Explore what shapes can be formed when one number is a multiple of the other, when they are relatively prime, when they are square numbers, successive Fibonacci numbers, etc. If you find interesting patterns, please comment below.


Sorry, the GeoGebra Applet could not be started. Please make sure that Java 1.4.2 (or later) is installed and active in your browser (Click here to install Java now)

Mr. H, Created with GeoGebra



Post in this series:
Doodling in Math Class
Doodling in Math Class (Stars) Update 1

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful stuff! I've seen the videos before but it's fantastic that you are making actual classroom material based on it. I'll see what I can contribute during the winter break as well. :)

    On a side note, check out my latest post which builds on one of your ideas from a while back.
    http://juliatsygan.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-intro-to-logarithms.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive comments and for sharing your experience teaching the lesson on logs. I haven't commented much in blogs lately, so finding out that my comments can be useful for others definitely motivates me to be a more active commenter.

    ReplyDelete