Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I learned to program...

Computer Science teacher Ben Chun launches a single-serving site called I learned to program... His "goal is to offer some insight for non-programmers (and especially pre-programmers!) into the wide range of people who know how to do this thing. We all got our start and learned our skills from a wide range of sources, for a wide range of reasons."

Most responses seem to fall under 3 categories:
Learning Method
watching my brothers make turtle graphics on the Apple II in my crib room.
Donovan Drane
Reason
because creating something useful where before there was nothing has to be the coolest thing in the world.
Hélène Martin
Tool/Technology
in a batch file using MS-DOS.
David Harris

Personally, I like the why responses the best. Take a look at some of the responses and add your own!

2 comments:

  1. I like your catagories and like you the "reason/why" responses are the best. Thanks for suggesting the groupings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, though, that reading the tool/technology responses does bring back some great memories. There were tons of aha moments as we figured things out in a time when documentation and tutorials were lacking.

    ReplyDelete